Saturday, December 29, 2012

Been Thinking About Resolutions

I have so needed this break! I am recharging my batteries. We have a long run (slow, painful plod) before spring break, unless the snow we just got is any indication that we will have lots of snow days or delays.

Been working on my resolutions. Saw a picture, it said:
*If it feels wrong, don't do it.
*Say "exactly" what you mean.
*Don't be a people pleaser.
*Trust your instincts.
*Never speak bad about yourself.
*Never give up on your dreams.
*Don't be afraid to say "No".
*Don't be afraid to say "Yes".
*Be kind to yourself.
*Let go of what you can't control.
*Stay away from drama and negativity as much as possible.

I think these would make good resolutions because all of them would make you feel better about yourself which promotes health via well-being. Now, let's break them down.

"If it feels wrong, don't do it." Common sense, however there are times when you have to choose between the lesser of two evils. There are also things the feel really good but are bad for you. Logic does not play into this statement, so chances are good that living by this credo will find you in trouble. Impulsive people live by this statement alone. You can stay alive, but the kind of life you end up with is probably not the best.

"Say 'exactly' what you mean." Unless you speak to your boss, or you want to get fired. The sentiment here is to stop beating around the bush, to be honest, and not to say the things hurt people if you can help it. That's not how it is worded, however.

"Don't be a people pleaser." This one would be hardest for me, since I desire to be liked and try to keep others happy and the energy around me positive. I have learned to be tougher on my students and teach them consequences. I want to be all sage, like a great sensei who keeps her mouth shut and lets the student fall to learn a lesson. In that sense, I'd fulfill this statement. Or perhaps, I'd just stubbornly go my own way and not follow the advice of others, which is probably the sentiment here.

"Trust your instincts." Here is a head-vs-heart statement if ever there was one! Instinct is often a combination of both. Earlier statements lacked logic, but this implies that you need it. Without logic, you'd be a beast running untamed across the land.

"Never speak bad about yourself." Hello poor grammar. Sometimes, you need to be humble, but overall, this is just good manners. Conversely, don't toot your own horn. Ever since I read in the Bible to let others praise you, it stuck with me. It makes sense. No one wants to listen to a braggart. It is far more valuable to be praised by others and it is worth far more. It gives you cred. If you put yourself down, you discredit yourself and also will believe the negative things. At the very least, it feels bad.

"Never give up on your dreams." I find this one the hardest not to follow. I'm always dreaming. Life is about getting to your next goal. Make a bucket list and go for it! Sure, life sometimes derails you, but don't let it stop you. Ammend them, add more steps in your goals, but keep dreaming.

"Don't be afraid to say 'No' or 'yes'." Let me combine these for length. Basically, be decisive. This is my greatest fault. I take too long to decide on things. I allow others to weigh in and pressure me. I don't think a resolution in this area is going to break me of this.It's a right-brain, left-brain battle that makes me who I am. Cautious, careful. I do like some spontaneity, but I usually want a plan.

"Be kind to yourself." ALWAYS! I know some people are masochistic, and things happen where we torture ourselves, especially emotionally, so this piece of advice that seems unnecessary really is. If you can't be kind to yourself, you don't love yourself. If you don't love yourself, you have to start by loving others and by being kind to others. You can't expect the world to just be kind to you out of the blue whenever you need it. The rest of the world needs this advice, too.

"Let go of what you can't control." Wow. How do you know what you can't control? If something is out of control should you stop it from careening into the wall and breaking you or just let it go? If you are in charge of your own destiny, then the things you cannot control are the other people in your life. Sometimes letting them go is the hardest of all.

"Stay away from drama and negativity as much as possible." Well, at least this statement takes into account that you can't isolate yourself from drama. It happens. Bad things happen. Drama makes good TV but no one wants to live it. I guess the opposite of this is to seek out drama and jump right in. Considering this point of view, stay out of business that isn't yours!

I think I may just go back to resolutions that promote my physical health. It seems there is too much gray area in this emotional stuff. If I keep my body healthy, then I will live long enough to let time heal all wounds. :)

No comments: