Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Music and Me

Day 11: Ipod shuffle, first 10 songs.

I don't OWN an ipod.
I'm not really musically inclined.
Music is my weakest 'intelligence'.
Sure, I sing loudly in the car, but it's a joyful NOISE.

I used to be pretty good at singing, but I'm way out of practice now.

Plus, I choose to listen to Christian rock, and hubby is not into that, so I try to be accommodating and I only play it when he is not home, or on my computer with the headphones plugged in.


When I do listen to music I am usually doing other things, like laundry folding, or driving, things that take up the mechanical part of my brain.

I can't listen to music and write. Okay, well sometimes I can. But usually, I need to concentrate in silence. I find if I do listen to music when writing, I stop paying attention to the music. I am in a state of sensory deprivation, a tunnel created by the sound, a zone where only the words matter.

I live in a primarily music-less world. I enjoy music, but I can't hear all the subtle nuances that a musician can. I can't pick out each instrument in a composition. I just like what I like. I don't like country-twangy singers, or nasally singers. I love a good beat.

Maybe I should listen more often, especially if I want to dance for exercise! Maybe this should be a resolution; make an exercise mix.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

1 comment:

g2 (la pianista irlandesa) said...

Ah, music. ^^ Just the thought of it makes me happy.

But I'll do the 10 songs... because I can.

"Butterfly," Jason Mraz, We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things

"The End", The Beatles, Abbey Road

"Coconut" (unsure of artist)

"Miniature Disasters", K.T. Tunstall, Eye to the Telescope

"Lady Madonna", The Beatles, Love

"A Dios Le Pido", Juanes, some untitled mix

"The Lowest Trees Have Tops", Sting, Songs from the Labyrinth (a collection of songs by John Dowland... basically Britain's first "pop" artist)

"Buster Voodoo", Rodrigo y Gabriela, 11:11

"Porteño y bailarín", some tango compilation I have

"Fughetta in G Major, BWV 920", Glenn Gould, Bach: Preludes, Fugues and Fughettas (one downside to classical music: they often have such stodgy titles...)

So yeah. Just a small sampling of my musical mixture.