Friday, April 17, 2015

A to Z - "O" is for Organize!!

Oh how I love it when I feel organized!

The first step for me is to get a planner.

I can spend hours filling in all the things I need to do; from lesson plans, to appointments, to writing dates with my laptop. My planner is my brain!

Organization for me can also mean simplifying and de-cluttering my life. My planner says it's Spring Cleaning Time! If you haven't done a Spring Cleaning yet, you should.

 Here are 10 questions to help you de-clutter:

Start with one room and dump everything you can into one space. Yeah, it's messy, but you are getting ready to clean it up. Ask yourself -
 1. Is this something I use every day?
I like to think of de-cluttering as packing up as if to move. What do you NEED to take with you?

2. If not, is it something I love?
What do you HAVE to take with you?

Put these items in their place in your home.

Now come the hard questions. Look at everything you have left.

3. Am I keeping this out of obligation?
4. Am I holding onto this because I think I should love it?
5. Am I saving this 'just in case'?
6. How many of these do I need?
7. Can something else I already own do the same job, maybe even better?
8. Is this broken and I want to fix it one day?
9. Is this worth the time I spend cleaning/fixing it?
10. Could I use this space for something else?

I kind of think the last question should be your motivation if you have big plans. Let's say you really want to park your car in the garage... yeah, you see what I mean?

If you have to be cutthroat, set yourself a number of items to get rid of from each room.

But Spring Cleaning is way more than just de-cluttering. When you pull all that stuff out, dust, spray, wipe, and disinfect that space!


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments: