Monday, April 20, 2015

A to Z - "Q" is for Quiet

As a Mom, quiet in the house is a sign of danger. Something is going down.

However, as a writer, I revel in the quiet. Some people can write better with music, but not me. I need silence to hear my thoughts. Seriously. Sometimes it is too noisy to think.

This is probably why I come up with great ideas while driving or using the restroom. I have to be in a place where I can listen to myself think.

This also happens when weeding the flowerbeds as well as when I am working a jigsaw puzzle. My logical mind is occupied on some monotonous or mundane task and the creative side opens up and takes over.

One of my goals is to create for myself a mini writing retreat.
NY Times

So far, I have not yet been able to accomplish this task. I know I will have to A) plan and B) get away from the house. I was thinking of going to the library first and foremost, then maybe a jaunt to a park for a walk. I can type up things at the library and write, draw, or photograph things at the park.

not my park, but you get the picture

First and foremost I need a goal for the retreat. At this point, I don't know what that is, and I think this is why I have put it off.

Secondly, I put it off because it means tearing myself away from my boys and the myriad of responsibilities at home. There are projects to do, cleaning to finish, organizing to accomplish. What was that about unrest being good? :)

But so are quiet times. There are so many benefits to taking time for your passions. I know this, but I deny myself the bliss. It's time to give in.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments: